RFP Templates RFP Process
RFP Templates > RFP-Process > The RFP Process

The RFP Process

Your Road Map to Successful Software Evaluation and Selection 
When organizations are tasked to evaluate and select and enterprise system, the stakeholders involved quickly realize there is a long and complex journey ahead in ensuring that the investment they are making will be the right decision. There is more to choosing the right solution than matching basic business requirements to a software vendor’s features and functions. In fact, in most cases only 25% of the decision in selecting enterprise software is based on features while the remaining 75% of the decision is based on other factors including services and support, vendor viability, and expertise (among other elements) to validate a vendor’s fit.

The objective of this learning center is to provide you the buyer with valuable insight and best practices in navigating the ever changing waters of the enterprise software world, and hopefully helping facilitate you and your organization in making the best informed decision possible.

To kick off things off, please find below a practical checklist to consider when evaluating and selecting a new system. In the various sections of this learning center, each of these checklist items will be explored in further detail in relation to their application in your software evaluation project.

RFP and Product Demo

  • Follow through
  • Overall quality and professionalism
  • Format follows the RFP
  • Adherence to scripted product demonstration
  • Information in slides or presented did not conflict with written proposal
  • Project team presentation
  • Ability to sufficiently answer questions
  • Overall response time

Corporate Profile

  • Financial viability
  • Reputation
  • Overall exposure to industry
  • Services department/division

Software Project Comprehension

  • Overall understanding of business objectives
  • Understanding of the business requirements
  • Understanding of required technology

Functional Business Requirements

  • Completeness of vendor response
  • Ability to meet functional requirements
  • Proposed exhancements/extensions/customization
  • Proposed technology

Implementation Approach

  • Application to this project
  • Deliverables, milestones & key decision points
  • Tools & templates
  • High-level work plan
  • Roll-out strategy
  • Migration strategy
  • Change management approach
  • Applied best practices
  • Business mapping/modelling

Project Management

  • Definition of roles & responsibilities - software vendor
  • Definition of roles & responsibilities - buyer
  • Resource planning - software vendor
  • Resource planning – buyer
  • Overall proposed project team
  • Existing PM methodology/approach
  • Tools & templates
  • Proposed deliverables
  • Regular status reporting against plan
  • Risk management approach
  • Issues management plan
  • Configuration and change management approach

Expectation of Buyer Roles

  • Clearly defined
  • Feasible

Training and Knowledge Transfer

  • Training approach
  • Training timeline
  • Training deliverables
  • Knowledge transfer approach
  • Knowledge transfer tools
  • Knowledge transfer performance

Proposed Post Implementation

  • Strategy
  • Help Desk support
  • Configuration management
  • Infrastructure support
  • Data security support

Customer References and Past Performance

  • Past performance experience with the Industry
  • Customer references feedback
  • Experience integrating with existing infrastructure
  • Experience managing comparable projects

Proposed Pricing and Costs

  • Total fee
  • Other fees
  • Expenses

Contractual Agreements

  • Agreement to use standard contract
  • Contract exceptions